Thursday, August 14, 2014

Another Month..

There it goes..another month has gone by in a drop of a hat. How is she 7 months, and why has summer gone by so fast!?







I truly believe that Lila accomplishes something new every month on the 14th. I was looking for something all day because I knew today felt different. She felt so much older to me. Well I decided today her new thing was....Not opening her mouth ON PURPOSE. Several times today I would be feeding her, bottle, food and medicine, and she WOULD NOT open her mouth. Yes, she has closed her mouth before on me, BUT today I could tell she knew what she was doing. She pressed her lips together so tightly and looked at me with "evil" eyes. Great.


"I ate all of my oatmeal, mom!" -Lila's Bib

On second note, she held her bottle a lot longer than usual by herself! Yay Lila! We also slow danced to Barney's "I love you" song. That was our moment for the day. 

Today, David was at work all day, 7-7, and I definitely am going to miss him being around once the school year starts. Usually he does not work that long and he can help me with nights or mornings so that we can both catch a break. 

WELL..by the time dinner rolled around, Lila was having a fit. She was fed and had a clean diaper, so I was lost. I had five different pots going on the stove for dinner and a baby walking into me while in her walker (Of course she finally learned to walk forward at that moment). I ended up having Lila in one arm, a spatula and spoon in the other, while stirring and flipping everything before it burned. SOMEHOW it all worked out and we had a nice dinner with Lila throwing her body into my plate while I tried to eat. What happened to the newborn that slept every hour, and who I wanted to wake up!? Was I crazy!?

Thankfully, I now have this blog to look back at for the second child :)

Now, I was not going to bake anything for dessert today, but then my best friend, and now neighbor (!!!!!), showed up and we had nothing better to do than bake and chit chat! So we came up with a lemon/blueberry bundt cake. It was awesome. I remembered to take a picture of dessert and not the dinner (again-sorry!). 

Here is the picture!
YUM, RIGHT!?
Now here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup of butter
1 3/4 cup of sugar
zest of one lemon
3 eggs 
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 cups of fresh blueberries
2 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Lemon Glaze:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar 
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp milk (I had to add another tbsp because it was too thick)
1/4 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

  • Preheat 350 degrees
  • In large bowl, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest (3-5 min)
  • Add eggs one at a time and beat additional minute per egg
  • In separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients
  • Add dry ingredients alternatively with the buttermilk to the sugar/zest/butter/eggs
  • Fold in blueberries
  • Grease and flour baking pan (I used bundt)
  • Bake 55-60 min

One more thing! For dinner, I made Cod (seasoned with garlic, lemon, and white wine), peas, and I needed to make the cauliflower that was sitting in the fridge. I am usually not a huge fan of cauliflower, but I eat it because it is good for me! I was trying to find a recipe to hide the taste! Well I did it! When I had asked my husband later in the night what he thought it was, he guessed..."Potatoes, right? No, wait..Corn? No, definitely potato."....To me it tasted like a hash-brown. They were really tasty! 

Cheesy Cauliflower Patties
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup panko
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt 
olive oil

Instructions:

  • Cut cauliflower into florets and cook in boiling water for about ten min
  • Drain
  • Mash cauliflower while still warm
  • Stir eggs, panko, cheese, cayenne, and salt together
  • Coat bottom of pan with olive oil over medium high
  • Form cauliflower mixture into patties about 3 inches across
  • Cook until golden brown
Makes 8 patties


Yikes, I need to stop writing these entrees so late at night; my belly is starting to growl! Off to bed so that I can wake up with Sleeping Beauty for night duty! 


-LS

No comments:

Post a Comment